Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Quick Trip to the BIG City!

I needed a few things for my tomato pincushion tutorial coming up this Friday, so my DH volunteered to drive me to the BIG city yesterday morning with the caveat we be back at home by 2:00 p.m. at the latest because he had a meeting to attend. I jumped at the opportunity, not because I don't like driving, but because every time I go either by myself or with a friend, I get hopelessly lost.

The 65 mile drive takes about an hour to an hour and a half, depending on the traffic. We left at about 9:00 a.m. so taking into consideration the time up and back, that would leave me 2 hours to shop and to try to fit in lunch. Do-able.

Michael's was the first stop. I knew exactly what I needed so I hurried in, found the stuff, checked out and was back in the van in less than 15 minutes. There was method to my madness because less than 10 minutes away was...you guessed it...a quilt shop! In my sweetest "honey would you mind" voice, I asked if we could make a quick stop at the quilt shop since we were in the neighborhood and the restaurant that we both like is in close proximity.

Really, I didn't need anything and I probably shouldn't have even suggested it because I know myself too well. Can you go into a quilt shop and not buy anything? I tell myself that I think I can but I know very well that I can't.

This fabric literally hollered at me to take it home. It is called Tea For Two designed by Yuko Hasegawa for RJR Fabrics. There's a really cute panel that is also part of the collection which I regretted not buying, so I called the shop when I got home and they're mailing it to me. I've never worked with panels before and thought that this would be a good time to start. I also bought the charm pack Swanky by Chez Moi for Moda. It looks so fresh and upbeat. The ric(k) rac(k) speaks for itself...cool and bright!


I was going to order these inkjet fabric sheets on line but when I saw them in the shop, I grabbed the last package. No shipping charges was my rationalization for this purchase. I've seen some really neat quilt labels done with this product so I'm going to give it a try.


Then I saw this book and I knew it would be coming home with me...even more so after glancing through it. The book is called Fresh Vintage Sewing by Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree Quilts. There are many projects inside I know will be added to my "to do" list...especially...


Pincushions! Can you see them? And there's more inside! Woo hoo! Because...


You can NEVER have too many pincushions!

We even managed to fit in lunch and were back at home with 10 minutes to spare.

Happy stitching!

18 comments:

Emma Loves Stitching said...

Definitely can't have too many pin cushions, I'm really pleased you're doing the tutorial on the tomato pin cushion, as I was going to ask where you got the pattern. So killed two birds with one stone!!
Looking forward to friday!
And i'm the same in haberdashery shops, it would be rude not to pop in and come away with nothing ha ha!
Have a great day, sun's shining here in the UK.
Emma x

Janet said...

Roll on Friday! Great trip and you made it worthwhile with your purchases.

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Great trip to the big city...I do the same thing to Scott when we take our 40 minute trip to where all the shops are. I think our hubbies are super (as long as we feed them after!)
~Karen~

Stina Blomgren said...

Ohh..that book looks lovely... something to have on my wishlist..:o)

Abby and Stephanie said...

Well I'd say your did a hit and run kind of day, with great success too. I'm feeling in the pincushion mood. Perhaps that'll be a weekend project!

Sara said...

Lots of great stuff as usual! And you can never have too many pincushions!

can't wait to see what you create with all that great fabric!

Julie said...

LOL kaaren - you're hillarioulsy hopeless! but i love ya.
julie xox

Cindy said...

And to think of the possibilities of what that additional ten minutes could have meant in another quilt shop....LOL

What great finds!

Sherri said...

I've made many trips like yours...we live about 65 miles away from most shopping too...and so, you know you have to get into a quilt shop every chance you get...one can't let those opportunities pass by!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh look at all those goodies, what a fun outing!!

Rumi said...

What great finds! So sorry that you have so far to travel to get to a quilt shop! What a dear of a husband to go along!

Candace said...

Ohhh - another great shopping trip, Kaaren! I can always buy something at a quilt store - needful or not! And I got Joanna's book as well - personally autographed - have even purchased fabric for some of the patterns already! We'll have to share what we make!
Cheers!

Carrie P. said...

You and your visit to the big city. Too funny. It is a good thing your dear hubby likes to go too. I just got that book too. Isn't it fabulous?!! I want to make everything in it. I think this is the first book I have bought where I want to do that. I got my moneys worth for sure.

Anonymous said...

Your funny...making the trip to the big city sounds like quite an ordeal. Men are basically happy as long as food is included right? You found some good buys! I hadn't seen the book yet...that good huh? Hmmmm

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

LOL - wahoo - what a fun trip to the big city. and lunch out to boot. Sounds like a good way to spend part of the day!

I was urprised when Angela picked lilac as well - but have you seen the bedding choices at Babys R us? I don't hink anyone does pink anymore! What a difference a few years make. Lilac, lavendar and plum athe hot colors now. Who knew??!!

Linda said...

Great stash you picked up. I was pondering this book, but I'm hoping that the guild will have it in their library. I was at a shop today to see their big sale. I came home with a pattern from Bunny Hill designs. I must be sick!!!not the pattern just that I did not purchase fabric.
ou know you have too much when.... Linda

Karen said...

Sweet fabric! The book looks like a nice one. I noticed the pincushions right away. I made some tomato pincushions from circles of fabric and they came out nice. I posted a picture on my blog. I'm looking forward to your tutorial tomorrow because you can never have too many pincushions! :)

Kimberly said...

That tea for two is so sweet! And I'm loving the swanky... which, by the way, seems to be the current word in my house. It somehow evolved from "spanky"... personally, I'm liking "swanky" better! It's funner! (hmmm, is "funner" even a word...)

I wanted to let you know that there's a little something FINALLY on its way to you as I type. I found what I was looking for (the hardware)... I hope you like it!

Hugs, Kimberly